Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Weasis?
- I have questions, what can I do?
- Can Weasis be used for commercial purposes?
- Why is the Weasis license Eclipse Public License?
- Can Weasis be incorporated in DICOM CDs or other removable media?
- How to enable Weasis logging?
- Is it possible to download DICOM files without having a WADO server?
What is Weasis?
Weasis is a standalone and web-based software for visualizing images obtained from medical imaging devices, see Weasis Medical Viewer .
I have questions, what can I do?
On this website you should find help if you are:
Can Weasis be used for commercial purposes?
Weasis can be used for commercial purposes as long as the terms of the license are respected.
Why is the Weasis license Eclipse Public License?
EPL is more business-friendly about some patent retaliation and reverse engineering clauses than LGPL. With EPL, derivative work (weasis plugin) can be distributed in any license type: open source, freeware, commercial… However, if you distribute Weasis with some modifications (changing existing source code of the open source Weasis plug-ins), even if it is a free distribution, you are obligated to make your modifications available to others.
For more information about EPL, check out the EPL 2 FAQ .
Note that since version 3.7.0 the source code is released in dual license mode (EPL-2.0 OR Apache-2.0 ). This allows the user to choose one of these two licenses.
Can Weasis be incorporated in DICOM CDs or other removable media?
Yes, Weasis can be embedded in a DICOM CD but only on Windows. On other platforms it is possible to create a DCOM CD but without the viewer. See DICOM Export CD/DVD Image .
How to enable Weasis logging?
Starting with Weasis 3.5, a boot log file is always written in <user.home>/.weasis/log/boot-x.log to trace the boot configuration. A default.log file in the same folder can trace all the Weasis activities; the latter must be activated:
- From File > Preferences > General enable Rolling log, select a log level and a stacktrace limit (DEBUG and empty (unlimited stacktrace lines) are recommended for investigating problems).
- The default logging configuration comes from config.properties or ext-config.properties, see Weasis Preferences .
In order to determine the path of <user.home>/.weasis go to the Help > About Weasis menu and find the property weasis.path in the System Information tab.
Is it possible to download DICOM files without having a WADO server?
Yes, but a WADO server is recommended. Downloading DICOMs can be achieved by: